Monument Pavilion

Typology: 
Urban & transport
Status: 
Completed
2006

The City of  London‘s street scene programme involved restoration work to the Monument, pedestrianising the space around the Monument, create a new public garden on the Canoe House site and create a new pavilion which includes new automated public conveniences and staff facilities.

The design for the pavilion was conceived as a discreet and functional sculptural element to sit within the new public space. The material chosen for the pavilion was Caithness Stone, the same dark stone that has been chosen for Monument Square. The stone has been enveloped in glass. It was intended that the glass would be patterned to work with the gabion mesh to create a moiré effect. 100 small panels of glass are positioned on the pavilion’s roof, each piece tilted precisely so that visitors to the top of the Monument will see a shimmering vision of the gold orb on the top of the Monument reflecting back at them.

Both the pavilion and the garden have been designed as part of a new arts strategy for public spaces in the City of London.

The Monument was built between 1671 and 1677 to commemorate the Great Fire of London and to celebrate the rebuilding of the City. The fire began in a baker's house in Pudding Lane on Sunday 2nd September 1666 and was finally extinguished on Wednesday 5th September, after destroying the greater part of the City. The pavilion was originally intended to glow each year from 2nd to 5th September, gradually fading after that point, in memory of the fire.